MIT College of Management
Introduction: Placement is an important activity of a business school and has a long-term implication for the students as well as institute. Although main purpose of business school is to provide knowledge, skills and attitude required for a successful manager, the students’ need for a good campus placement cannot be overlooked. The MITCOM and its placement cell will try its best to bring its students face to face with corporate and obtain required job commensurate to their individual quality of development.
2. Number of students to work in placement cell, duty hours, shifts, handing over / taking over of duties, frequency of coordination meetings etc. to be worked out by G.S. in consultation with Head Placement. Care must be taken that students do not miss their classes and training schedule. As regard to maintenance of discipline and decorum of placement cell and issues regarding image of MITCOM, Head Placement decision will be final. The students will be allotted the task as per the requirement of the placement cell, ability and skills of the students and overall interest of the organization. Head Placement and G.S will do this through discussions. Incase of any dispute the matter to be referred to Director. Budget for the placement will be prepared by Head Placement and put up to the Director for approval. Placement cell will publish daily bulletin on the activities with the copy to Director for maintaining transparency.
Placement Notices and Students Info:
3. Students are themselves responsible to read and understand placement events and notices displayed. Placement Head will put one notice informing the event on the notice board. These notices will also be posted on the Students’ Intra-net folder Placement – Bulletins. G.S through placement team will put other parallel systems for information like e-mail, class announcements, telephone calls, and network of C.R.s etc. However, this will only be a supplementary system and not necessarily an assured mode of communication.
Nominations- Candidature- Short-listing
4. a) When companies ask institute to short list and provide limited number of C.V.s as per the specific QR/KRA/ Requirement or when the number of applications to vacancy ration is more which is not acceptable by the company in such situations following action will be taken by the placement cell -
I. Reaction Time of 1 Week : A notice as regards this will be displayed as soon as possible. Placement office will also prepare the list of qualifying & suitable candidates. In addition to this, Course Head will give the academic and overall performance report to the Placement Cell. Further, short-listing will be done by the Head Placement based on the data on students’ merit list. Only in case of any dispute, issue may be referred to Director. CV will be sent only for those students who have applied (There is rarely time to entertain and decide such disputes).
II. Reaction Time of 1-2 days: When limited number of nomination is required immediately or within a short reaction time of 1-2 day, placement office will use its discretion in deciding the nomination by utilizing the available data. Head Placement is responsible to ensure fairness in selection. In this regard, help or assistance of available student volunteers may be taken for short-listing. CV submission shall not be delayed and telephonic consent may be taken from students before sending their C.V.s. For this, student committed to be used.
b) When companies do not ask institute to shortlist and accept any number of C.V.s as per the specific QR/KRA/Requirement following action will be taken by the placement cell -
I. Reaction Time of 1 Week : A notice as regards this will be displayed as soon as possible. Placement office will also obtain names and scrutinize them against the requirement. Only in case of any disputes issue to be referred to Director. C.V. will be sent only for those students who have applied.
II. Reaction Time of 1-2 days: When limited numbers of nominations is required immediately or within a short reaction time of 1-2 days, Head Placement would decide the nomination by utilizing the available data. If time is not adequate to put up notice & get C.V.s, help or assistance of the available student volunteers may be taken for short listing. CV submission shall not be delayed and telephonic consent will be taken from the students before sending their CVs’. Head Placement is responsible to ensure fairness in selection as per laid down merit.
III.Targeted Placements: In some cases, placement cell may contact particular company (usually reputed Indian or multinational company which or otherwise may not have come to the campus) for a specific group of specially qualified students. In such case, placement cell may display a list of students whose C.V.s will be forwarded. Students, within specified duration of 2-3 days, get their names deleted or submit their C.V.s. If any student wishes to be out of this scheme, he / she have to apply in writing to placement to put out of such scheme in advance.
IV. Student is allowed to apply for only three companies with pay package above 3 Lakh per annum and three other companies as per his choice and has to crack the selection process of company. If student fail to get Final Placement, his/her name will go down the list and will be considered only on rotation basis when other students also finish their turn. Such students relegated in the list would be given one chance to apply for their Dream Company. Student application is counted only when it is sent to company. Whether the student is short listed by the company or not will have no relevance. The application as Dream Company is allowed only one time.
Short-lists Received from the Companies:
5. As soon as names of short listed students are received from companies it will be displayed on the notice board outside the placement office indicating Date-Time-Venue for the next Event in that selection process. Students will take action accordingly. G.S. along with the student team will device a method to inform short listed students through other means, if possible. However, the responsibility of reading notices will be that of the students. If students do not participate further process without obtaining prior sanction from Head Placement or Director, student may invite debar provision.
6. Students having Backlog in I and II Semester are not eligible to apply for the various positions.
7. It is not feasible and advisable for placement office to fix, dictate, negotiate or bargain for compensation Packages on your behalf. However, wherever & whenever possible, placement office will endeavor to get salary indication from the recruiter. As and when available, it will be communicated through notice. Head Placement will in general try and maximize the benefit for students according to the situation and credential of the students. If salary package is not disclosed by the company the students are encouraged to discuss about it preferably at PPT stage. If package is not acceptable or not disclosed by the company the student will withdraw from further process without inviting debar provisions provided he / she informs placement cell in writing before he / she is called for the interview. If the company still keeps it open, students will get it clarified during interview and the report the same to Head Placement immediately. Once the call letter is received from the company, not joining the company will attract the debar provision.
Selection Process :
8. Depending upon the process followed by the company, one or more of the following selection test will take place, either at company venue or campus: a) PPT- Pre Placement Talk; (b) Written English Test; (c) Profiling / Psychometric test; (d) Extempore, Verbal Speech / Presentation test; (e) Formal Spoken presentation on a given topic; (f) Group Discussion; (g) Personal Interviews (PI) – one or multiple rounds. Information will be put on the notice board by the Head Placement and further communicated if feasible by the student team. Student will ensure that they are present with necessary documents (as announced in the notice), in prescribed dress code (when not prescribed, MITCOM uniform will be worn) and 15 minutes prior to the specified time. Students are advised to finish their eating and consumption of water, one hour prior to the reporting time. Students are also advised to complete their natural calls just before reporting time, and be tidy (combing hair, makeup for girls, adjusting tie knots shirt tucks-in, shoe shining, etc) just at the time of reporting.
Debar Provisions from Placement Cell:
9. Once the candidate short list is display, students will attend the next event, whether PPT, GD or PI or any other. Absent students will be debar from further placement support for next three companies decided by the Head Placement. The student will be permitted to withdraw from the process by indicating in writing giving reasons of his / her unwillingness to go through the next phase of the process. Standard Performa will be available at placement cell. If that be the final interview, and student want to withdraw due to salary package, working condition, career progression, etc, that has come to his / her notice during last phase only, then he / she will have to complete the final interview, but indicate unwillingness to the recruiter in writing with copy to placement cell stating clearly the reasons. Head Placement must be informed well in advance. If the procedure is not followed, students will attract the debar provision. Once the offer letter from the recruiter is received, and the student has not expressed his/her reservations a-priori, he/she will be removed from the placement list as ‘already placed’. However, he/she may appeal to Director in writing through Head Placement.
Post –Selection :
10. Following contingencies may occur:
The company may want the selected candidate to complete entire MBA course before joining. That would be the best alternative and supported by the institute in the interest of the company and the student. Students will take full advantage and complete the course in full earnest.
11. It is mandatory for the student to work at least 6 months with recruiter to maintain the relationship of the institute and industry. If student fail to do, in that case his/her Transcript will not be issued from the institute.
Redress of Placement Disputes:
Change in Placement Rules
Prof. Dr. Sayalee Gankar
MIT College of Management, Pune